Sunday, September 7, 2014

‘Tragedy’



Friday, August 29, 2014

No one is exempt from experiencing tragedy in their lifetime. Whether it has been brought on by  one’s own doing or by the greater power of someone or something else, it can and will affect all of us at some point.

Never before arriving here at the North Unit of Florence, have I been told so much that I do not seem the type to be in prison. Mind you, this is usually a prelude to the inevitable inquiry as to what I have done and the expectation that there is a reasonable explanation. Normally I scoff at this type of manipulating banter as I know it is all so ridiculous. I am evolved and aware enough to realize that with a twist of fate, anyone could be sharing the prison cubicle next to me.

In my case, the greater majority of inmates and civilians that have heard, or are aware of my story, say that I got a ‘bad rap’. I cannot agree. Yes, it was an accident and yes, everyone involved partook in the bad decisions of that fateful night. That reality aside, I was responsible for an accident that took 3 lives. That crime, intentional or not, was a tragedy. And it is one that I played a role in. The 6 degrees of separation no longer applies because my involvement has, and continues to affect so many people.

Because of the poor choices I made on that one evening, people lost friends, siblings, children, uncles, aunts, nieces and nephews. The domino effect seems to be never ending for me.

There really is no argument to be had. I do belong in prison. And this is my tragedy.




No comments:

Post a Comment