Monday, January 21, 2013

Being sick in prison is probably one of the worst things you can ever experience.

Monday, January 14, 2013

It should be apparent that I have taken some days off from blogging. Last Tuesday afternoon I was feeling weak and not my best as I laid down to sleep. When I awoke Wednesday morning, I could not move. It was as if I had been hit by a Mack truck. I could not breathe through my sinuses and my head was pounding and spinning at the same time.
John called in sick to work for me and went and bought me the essentials; cough drops, vapor rub, cough syrup, ibuprophen, and Alka Seltzer cold & flu. I remember taking a dose of everything and then putting on layers of clothing, including my beanie and jacket before getting back under the covers. I passed out and woke again around 10:00 PM in wet clothes. I stripped and showered while John simultaneously did a load of laundry. I ate chicken ramen noodles which I immediately threw up. I dressed and then got back into bed.

The truly unfortunate part of being sick in prison is that the greater majority of inmates do not have money to pay anything in here let alone cold/flu remedies, which are outrageously priced at the prison store. The number of people who have asked for my financial help to get some medicine is insane. Though it is difficult, I have to say ‘no’ to everyone. There is just no way that I could do that without the word spreading; “David bought me cough syrup…:  Before long, everyone would think that I would also get them their medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment