Sunday, March 30, 2014

'Those who stayed'

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Many people ask me if I have lost many friends because of this journey. It is difficult to explain because I truthfully didn’t have any real friends before I came to prison. The people that I was “close” with, would really be classified as acquaintances. They did not know the real me and in turn, I never really knew them. It wasn’t authentic and so, I cannot, in good faith, refer to any of those connections that I had with them as ‘friendships’.

Over many years, I have continued to grow and come into my own. The people that I did have in my life that are special to me, who I have not lost… well, I cannot call them just friends. They are so much more than that. These individuals are incredibly important to me. I love them with such a passion that even I cannot understand it at times. The many layers of my personality, my past, present and future are equally important to them. They know who I am and accept me, flaws and all. I can be vulnerable to them and for that, there are no bounds for what I would do for any of them.
Here are those people and this – is for them.
(Each of you know who you are.)

HELLO KITTY
I love you more than I love myself – or anything else in the world for that matter. There is much that I am so sorry for and yet you have never failed me. We are ‘one’ and I dare say that we always will be. It is amazing how we can hold a complete conversation without ever uttering a single word. There are secrets that we hold for one another that nobody could begin to imagine. The memories of another life, a previous chapter, if you will, are what define you and I. Those moments are sad, tough, fun, crazy and ours alone. Soon enough, we will make new memories. Life will begin again and it will be all about us. I will do my best to remain as your rock. Considering that I owe you my life, I’d say that it is the least I can do. You are my song, my favorite cigar, my Kettle/Grapefruit and the uni on my plate. 6 ½ 10 ½

PATHFINDER
I have loved you for my entire life. You have protected me and loved me unconditionally. You have been my motivation for my career choice; physical, wellness, the outdoors, animals – and of course, my obsession with football. I will never forget all the 49ers games, the music concerts, the ski trips, and our drives to the planetarium. You always let me shift your gears in the Alfa Romero. And you taught me to drive a manual in the Pathfinder over the hills of San Francisco. There will never be a way to thank you because you are too many things to me. You have been my friend, my parent, my advisor, my psychologist and so much, much more. I love you.

MS PENN STATE
Hi gorgeous! What can I say? To me you are like the finest dirty martini in AZ88. You are classic, always in style, and ready to conquer the world. Like so many people in my life, we have developed our own unique bond. I have come to trust you with my secrets just as you do with me. Thank you for being you. I love you!

MISSION HILL
How you and I got to this place is beyond me. Perhaps it is kismet that you are the Ying to my Yang. I will forever cherish that element between us. You challenge me to be better, push me and make me crazy in ways that I never would have imagined. God knows that I never understood that I could want to hug and slap the person I love at the same time until I met you. There are times that I believe that we came into one another’s lives simply to call each other out on our crap. If that is the case, well then I welcome it. Thank you for keeping me sane. I know it has not been easy. I love you unconditionally – even when I want to slap you.

MS FERRARI

You are remarkable, beautiful, hard, a ‘BOSS’, feminine and too damned smart for your own good at times. One would think that we’d be a very odd couple, but in another life, I would marry you in a second. (That is providing of course that in that other life, I came back as a heterosexual…) The bond that we have never dissipates. I admire and love you. Thank you for being such a wonderful part of my life.

So there you have it. You are all my heart, and yes, you are all my ‘friends’.
In time, I know that when I can put this experience behind me that I will meet new people. I look forward to developing authentic and lifelong friendships in the future.

It’s time.

No comments:

Post a Comment