Sunday, March 30, 2014

'Sharing My Past'

Tuesday, March 11, 2014
“After my release, how will I guard or share my past with those whom I meet? What will encourage me to be forthcoming and inversely, protective of the information about my incarceration?”

There is a certain human instinct/behavior associated with those who have been in prison. Naturally, the majority of the population fears them. People intrinsically fear that which they do not know. Murderers, rapists, child molesters, home invaders and kidnappers…. The speculation over those who have been in prison is always the worst and most heinous. I cannot blame people for that. The reality is that their speculations are valid to a degree and yes, there are many people who have been in prison that they should fear. I live with them day in and day out and I fear them. What does that tell you?
There is a fundamental problem with society’s perspective though. When it comes to the general public’s view point of ex convicts, we all fit into the exact same category. People who have been in prison are stereotyped like anyone else and obviously that makes it incredibly difficult to re-enter society successfully.

I feel that I should be candid about my past; what I have done and what I experienced as a result. Deciding on when I should tell someone is the challenging part. I do have this blog posted and I do use my real name - but it’s not as if I am a celebrity or on TV. I highly doubt that anybody would recognize me walking down the street. I sincerely believe I will be just another face.

When I do meet someone that I would like to spend more time with, be it a friend or a romantic interest, it’s only right that I tell them after a few meet and greets. From that point, it will be completely up to them to decide whether they can accept me into their lives.
I know there will be shock, judgment and discrimination. I will have to find a way to accept that some people will not be comfortable around me. Changing their minds may be impossible but, I have no alternative other than to accept this inevitable fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment