Sunday, August 10, 2014

‘A Few Quotes I Like and Why I Love Them’



Thursday, July 25, 2014

“The capacity to admire others is not my most fully developed trait.” – Henry Kissinger
I could easily have said this today and have not even begun to address it – that is, if it needed addressing at all. More often than not, I do not admire other people. People are flawed, lost, confused and convoluted…. What’s to admire? Time to time, I feel pangs of envy, even jealousy but admiration? Not so much. I really don’t even know if I should view it as a bad thing? I believe that, since we are all flawed in some way, what is the point in admiring others? I spend a perverse amount of time analyzing myself and other people. We all have problems, strengths and weaknesses. Our flaws, accomplishments, challenges etc., they give us unique identities and make us all different. I cannot admire another person just for being different than I am. All of that said, when I do admire someone, it is a very unusual feeling for me.

“I love argument. I love debate. I don’t expect someone to just sit there and agree with me. That’s not their job.” – Margaret Thatcher
I cannot discount the fact that I love a good argument or debate so long as it is with a reasonably intelligent person. Mutual respect is key here and it is something that I have grown to accept and learn as I have grown older and matured. I have realized that most arguments and debates are best left asleep. I may love them, but it is a rare occasion that I experience a positive or productive outcome.

“Birth counts for nothing where virtue is absent.” Moliere; “The Story of Don Juan’
To be truly virtuous is impossible in my current environment. Inside, I try to be morally good because I still maintain a strong moral compass. I know the difference between right and wrong consistently try to do the right thing. I want to be a good man, at least as much as I can.

“The average healthy, well adjusted adult gets up at 7:30 in the morning feeling just terrible.” – Jean Kerr; ‘Please Don’t Eat the Daisies’
I am here to say that I wake up at 4:00 AM every morning and I feel great. It is around 7:30 AM, when everyone else gets up, that I feel terrible. Perhaps it’s all relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment