Sunday, October 5, 2014

‘A Brand New Day’


Wednesday, September 3, 2014
 

Life in Florence is slowly becoming my new ‘normal’. My schedule is now full and I suppose, I should be thankful for that. Naturally I am a “go getter’ and prefer to stay busy. This particular schedule however, is giving me a run for the money.






04:00 – Wake up, pee, brush teeth, shower, write or blog
05:00 – Report to the sally port to leave the unit for work
06:00 – Report to work
17:45 – Leave work and travel back to the prison unit
18:30 – Work out, eat dinner, make phone calls, and shower
20:00 – Settle in for TV, read, write or socialize
22:00 – Fall asleep

The good news is that the days are flying by and I feel every day as I am going through it. I should embrace this right? I mean, I have one of the most highly sought after jobs that an inmate can have. I make a whopping $.80 cents an hour – which is the highest amount we can make. I’m healthy, in shape and have extraordinary support from the outside. Nobody really bothers me and I stay away from the nonsense. All of these things are good.

Still… if all of this is good, why am I so unhappy?

Life is funny. I have to acknowledge my own advice to other people and do something about my unhappiness. I have to figure out something or at least begin to really appreciate what I do have. I need a change because I refuse to stay in such a melancholy state of mind.

I know that finding my own version of ‘happy’ is possible. I have done it in much worse situations than this. I think I have become complacent with who I have become and this is my very real wake up call. I need to look at everyday as if it is truly a brand new day.

This is something I know that I can do

No comments:

Post a Comment