Saturday, February 7, 2015

‘Sexual Fulfillment in Relationships’



Monday, January 26, 2015

By now, if you are a regular visitor to my blog, you will know that I am a supporter of relationships. Yes, I have been in my own journey when it comes to deciphering what it that I want and need in a relationship and yes – it has changed.

Many years ago, perhaps 05’, I was so convinced that I needed to have someone that I was willing to be anyone, say anything in order to have someone want me. The problem was that the person they would end up wanting never truly existed because it was a façade, a manifestation of that ‘perfect person’ I had created for them to want. The charade was exhausting and even though I knew that it would eventually come crashing down – I still created it. I did this all because in the few moments where I felt wanted, or needed by the other person – was worth everything to me.

Unfortunately, I was selfish and idiotic because I never gave much thought to how it would affect the other person.

I am embarrassed to say that even though I pulled in the reigns, it wasn’t until 2013 that I could truly say: “yes I want to be in a healthy and committed relationship with someone”. The caveat however was that I wanted it to happen with the right person and with complete transparency. 

Right now, I am ‘A O K’.

Last year, I received a lot of proposals via mail. I also received a tone of letters with miscellaneous questions on where my head was at in regard to relationships, especially between two men. I did my best to answer these questions as genuinely as possible knowing that some of my words might not make it through the reader’s filter in the exact way that I had meant it. Still, I did my best. 

There is a statement that I made almost a year ago however that continues to be brought up:

“I do believe that two men can be in a monogamous and committed relationship but – there has to be genuine sexual fulfillment.”


Apparently, this provoked a great deal of thought from many readers and, a great deal of postal response came in to me as a result. It became evident to me that a lot of gay men are in amazing relationships, and I learned, that some of these relationships may not necessarily be sexually compatible. They still however - make it work.

Typically they make it work through strong communications. Some partners bring a 3rd party into the bedroom and others simply enjoy an “open relationship”. These concepts are becoming more ever present in relationships – both gay and straight. I am not in a position to judge because, after all, every relationship is different and what works for one, may not work for another. Still, these suggestions and recommendations were presented to me in direct response to how they perceived my statement.

I admit that I understand their basis for the defense of their relationships. What I took issue with however, was that I specifically used the terms ‘monogamous’ and ‘committed’. Call me old fashioned, but I do not think I could be in a monogamous, committed relationship and still be allowed to sleep with other people. Am I missing something here?

The responses that I was receiving, more or less, proved my point. Regardless how relationships are experienced, it still remains true that a certain degree of sexual fulfillment must occur in order to promote a higher chance of remaining committed to one another, and well – monogamous. 

The following questions were presented to me. In answering them – I may actually be prompting an even more volatile level of conversation. I welcome everyone’s feedback however – so please feel free.

1.   Q Is sexual fulfillment a prerequisite for everyone?
A Absolutely not. I think it’s appropriate to say that we, as human beings, have varied sexual appetites, needs and desires. We are also able to weigh the pros and cons in life and I believe it is probably better to become involved with someone for whom they are, versus who they are – ‘between the sheets’. Still, let’s hope for the best.

2.   Q Is the end game simply just a sexually viable pairing?
A Interestingly enough, I believe it is more important for a man to find this than a woman. I do not think it’s the ‘end game; however I do think that it is at the forefront of many men’s minds.

3.   Q Is the assumption that by partnering, you will be ensured sexual satisfaction for the balance of your life with that one person?
A This question is a bit dramatic I think, but no. I believe relationships, partners etc., go through a series of phases. I also know of many sexless relationships that seem to stand on their own, albeit they began as sexual ones.

4.   Q Does the true measure of a successful partnership hinge upon mutual sexual fulfillment?
A In my humble opinion, absolutely. If you truly are a person that wants a committed and monogamous relationship – and a successful one at that – then you must be in tune with one anothers sexual needs and hopefully able to fulfill them for one another.

5.   Q If there is no sexual compatibility or fulfillment, can there still be love?
A Yes. I do not think that ‘love’ has anything to do with sex in the relationship. I believe that ‘love’, is about the person. To include sex as a prerequisite to love, would be superficial to me.

Please feel free to join this dialogue by adding your comment here, or if you prefer, send your comments and questions to me directly at:

David R McKinney

#169947  QN9

ASPC Florence, North

PO Box 8000 
Florence, AZ 85132-8000

No comments:

Post a Comment