Saturday, February 28, 2015

‘How often do we do, or say something wrong and never even realize it?’



Thursday, February 5, 2015

By now, most of you are aware that I have had a hell of an adventure when it come to pen pals and getting to know someone through “snail mail”. I have had so many ‘come and go’ pen pals over the years that I could literally write an entire novel about the experience. One thing however, that remains constant with all of these writer’s diversity is that they slowly fade, then disappear back into their own respective lives. 

I have discussed this many times with Joey over the years. It is so easy to think that there must surely be something ‘wrong’ with these pen pals, when in fact, there may indeed be something wrong with me! 

A pattern of repeated behavior used to be easily identifiable, but over time, I have changed. In the beginning, I was obviously attempting to fill a void of intimacy and emotion. Acknowledging that fact was difficult, because it made me feel weak and desperate. Once I pulled in the reigns and began to get a grip, I began to focus my correspondence in developing friendships. While it would start there, invariable, things would escalate to a deeper level and I would – fall for it. My guess is that on the other end, the reality of being involved with someone in prison would set in and ‘POOF’, they would disappear. 

I wound up pulling away from corresponding with pen pals because nothing positive was resulting and more often than not, I would feel like crap in the aftermath. When I finally decided that it was time to reconnect with people, I chose to look at it in a new way. I genuinely wanted to make some new friends, to keep things on a strictly platonic level and to engage in some meaningful, ephemeral dialogues. My hopes were dashed. Those efforts, failed as well.

The entire situation is so disheartening. I admit that people these days are busy with life, work, responsibilities etc.. I understand that completely. Still, the correspondence has a tendency to fail once a true connection has been made (i.e. after months of correspondence) and so, I cannot help but to wonder if it is me – rather than them?

Have you ever tried to scrutinize your own behavior?

It is very difficult because you do not want to be too easy or too hard on yourself. That in mind, I have no idea if it was me or not who caused the breakdown of these pen pal engagements. In the absence of knowing, I am left with no other alternative that to assume that, it must be me.

Change for most, is hard. Change when you don’t know what you need to change… well, that is almost impossible. I am open to ideas, thoughts and criticisms. If you, the reader, have anything to say, them please feel free to comment here – or drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment