Sunday, April 27, 2014

‘Far From Perfect’

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

An inmate here needed to speak to me about a pay discrepancy but was too nervous to speak directly to me about it. He asked a friend of mine to speak to me on his behalf in hopes that I might be more attentive to his situation. When my friend explained the issue to me, I told him to have the guy come and talk to me.
30 minutes later, the guy had worked up enough nerve to come and speak with me.
It turns out, that he had a legitimate pay issue. When the business side of the conversation was concluded, I asked him why he did not want to come and speak with me himself. He began quickly rattling off the following reasons:

1.   I make people feel dumb when I speak to them

2.   I always look angry

3.   People are warned to not upset me

4.   I am very picky about who I give my attention to

I was speechless. Before he left, I assured him that he could always come to me if there were problems with his pay. I sat on my bed contemplating all he had said about me.
Maybe he was right?

Do I make people feel dumb? It is completely plausible. I deliver information or facts in a direct, unforgiving way. I don’t make the necessary concessions for the simple reality that most of the inmate population as barely made it through 8th grade. Most have never been out of the state of Arizona. But I have a problem ‘dumming’ myself down for the person whom I am speaking to. Speaking in laymen’s terms is one thing, but doing it to feed their insecurities in another thing entirely.
Do I look angry? I have been in prison for so many years. Nobody is on the same intellectual level for me to have a conversation with. We have nothing in common besides the color of our clothing and the fact that we are all convicted felons. In order to be mentally stimulated or feel any sense of ‘normalcy’ I must maintain regular contact with the outside world. What this means however is that I end up worrying about everything going on in two distinctly different worlds, rather than one. The biggest decision/responsibility most guys here have is whether or not to make their bed, or even to get up out of bed in the first place. For me, every decision I make here affects not only myself, but everyone outside of here that cares for and loves me. It is a lot to manage at times.

“Don’t upset David!” The inmates that have been doing time with me through the years have seen me at good and bad times. They are very aware that I have a vindictive side and that I fear very few things. It is no surprise that they have over time, spread this rumor about me. I understand why guys go out of their way not to upset me.
"I’m picky about who I give attention to.” Yes absolutely. I have learned all of the angles and possible ulterior motives guys have in here. No one is exempt and so, I am very particular with regard to who I give my time and attention to. That will never change as long as I am in here.

I guess the lesson here is that the guy was right. I feel like I should change something – to try and be less harsh. But I won’t. These are traits that I have carefully developed over time because of this environment. It is survival 101. They need to stay in place for the greater good of holding onto what sanity I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment