Sunday, May 25, 2014

‘Arizona is Bad’


Wednesday, May 7, 2014

People always aske me why I feel so negatively about Arizona. It’s a challenging task for me to explain why that is though when it is impossible that they could relate. My issues with Arizona are personal and based on my own experiences. There are many people who love this state. I know that it has its perks for some, but I admit candidly that I could care less if it fell off the map.

In my own opinion, Arizona is culturally stagnant in almost every way. The majority of the population is Caucasian, followed by Mexican Americans. There is a small percentage of Native Americans, Afro Americans, and then Mexican Nationals (illegal immigrants). Unfortunately, The ethnic breakdown also reflects the financial/economic and political structuring. When it comes to politics, AZ is as RED as you can get. I believe that politics and religion should remain as private matters so I will not get into what I think about those who currently make up the Arizona legislature.

Consider for a moment, the following:

-      If you aren’t Caucasian in Arizona, you are almost assuredly subject to being pulled over in your car, questioned and required to prove citizenship
-      The penal system is a actually a privatized big business in Arizona
-      The state is so bankrupt that the legislature sold the State Capital and is leasing it back from the new owner
-      The legislature attempted to pass a bill allowing businesses to refuse service to people based upon ethnicity, sexual orientation and religion

I lived in the beautiful area of North Scottsdale. The streets, homes, golf courses, retail and resorts are all amazing. Everything in that part of Arizona is supremely manicured and maintained daily. The roads are filled with Range Rovers, Ferraris, Aston Martins and Bentleys. In the off chance that you do encounter a person of color, they are likely rappers, musicians, professional athletes or married to one.

The people will smile and be welcoming but its not at all genuine. Rather, they are sizing you up in every possible material way. Is your bag real or fake? Your sunglasses, shoes, hair style and clothing are all carefully scrutinized.

There is a surprising amount of racism here. I lost count of how many times I was pulled over by Scottsdale PD. I was pulled over because of the simple fact of my skin color and that I drove an expensive vehicle. Their questions were always the same:

-      “Where are you coming from and where are you going?”
-      “You look lost. Can I help you find your way out of Scottsdale?”
-      “This sure is a nice car… Is it yours?”
-      “Your address on your driver’s license is up in North Scottsdale. Is that where you really live?”

The questions would go on and on to the point where it was clearly harassment. I finally began calling my mom at the hospital and putting her on the phone with the officer who had pulled me over. Once the connection was made that they knew my mom from seeing her at the Emergency Room, they would let me go. It was racial profiling at its finest.

As the years went by,. I became well known in the area and was less scrutinized. The problem was, that I began to be defined in the following ways:
-      “That’s the guy who lives with the hot red head, I think he’s Latin or Black…” (The red head is my mom.)
-      “He’s the guy that drives the Jaguar and that lifted Jeep.” (we are all defined by our cars.)
-      “He’s the gay guy with that tall white boyfriend.” (Not only were we the token gay couple, but a mixed race one at that…)
-      “He’s the guy always out running that big scary Doberman. His boyfriend is the really handsome white guy that has the sweet Labrador.”

These things were demeaning, superficial and elementary. They never changed and in time, I simply began to accept it. Clearly, I was the odd man out.

It doesn’t matter how long I sit and think about all of the things that I have mentioned in this entry. For me, whether it is the person that I was then, or the man I have grown to be, the net conclusion is the same;

I DO NOT BELONG IN ARIZIONA.

Courtesy of MAD Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment