Saturday, March 16, 2013

A new job = new responsibilities; "I am exhausted just thinking about it."

Monday, March 4, 2013

Things are changing rapidly here and though I am 100% supportive of them, it is already apparent that a lot of officers are not as accepting to change.
The new deputy warden believes in ownership, responsibility and accountability. She insists on consistency throughout with inmates as well as staff and she is aware that change here is essential.

During my meeting with our new Deputy Warden, I was informed that I will be running programs and special projects. I have facilitated all of these things before with her supervision on other yards and so, she is aware if my skills and capabilities. The only downside is that I have never had to do them all.  Right now, as it stands, I will be facilitating the following classes to the inmate populations:

Re-entry Class; This program is designed to educate inmates on the best ways to survive outside f here. The information includes all the basics including how to open a bank account, get an apartment, fill out job applications, how to interview, get health insurance etc.

Cultural Diversity: This is designed specifically for the more hardened, political inmates who need to learn acceptance of all ethnic backgrounds. Ironically it will be me; a multi racial homosexual who will teach them these classes.

Cognitive Thinking; This class will help guys process their thoughts and feelings. So many people do not knopw how to deal with things that go on in their own minds.

Anger Management; The title says it all. We need to try and change the way that inmates in here react to people. In the real world society, people are going to be rude, disrespectful and do upsetting things. We cannot just go around assaulting those who do.

On top of facilitating those 4 classed, I will also be heading up the Restorative Justice Project. This program allows me to set up various fundraisers for all sorts of things for the inmate population to purchase through an approved vendor. Once an item is selected, we mark up the purchase price 100%. We purchase the items for the inmates and the profits received are then donated to the Victims Rights Fund.
The Special Projects aspect is basically that I have to keep a tally of things that need to be done; i.e.: painting tasks, maintenance and grievance issues etc..

So it appears that I have my work cut out for me. And I will be compensated $.50 cents an hour. Right now, I am exhausted just thinking about it all and I need to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment