Sunday, June 29, 2014

‘Black, Brown & White – What does it meant to be a color?”


Saturday, June 14, 2014

A new arrival came into the yard yesterday evening and I happened to be standing outside when people were making their introductions. I overheard the “What are you?” question that is so prevalent in prison and I immediately recalled the first time that question was directed toward me.

It wasn’t long before I stepped into prison when someone asked me “what I was?” I responded that I was a human being. I was seen as being a smart ass and a fight immediately ensued.  The answer that I was supposed to have given was ‘Black; but I didn’t know any better. I never identified myself as Black, Latino or Caucasion because I am a blend of all these things. I am a “mutt”. My mom prefers the title “Swirly” and I am okay with that term as well.

Prison is structured around color and so, we must identify as one, and then segregate ourselves from the others. Maturity has allowed me to analyze the race aspect here more deeply. If I say that I am a Black man, what does that mean? In here, it means that I am current on Rap and Hip Hop music, I have a lot of swagger, I am pro-Black as far as economics and feel spurbed because of slavery. These are only some of the automatic stereotypes that come along with being Black in prison.

Similarly, the Brown “Mexican” population experiences the same stereotype issues. They are expected to be current on Latin and Raqueton music, have Hispanic swagger, be pro-Brown and be anti any law prohibiting immigration. Lastly, they should have a healthy understanding of both the Aztec and Mesa cultures.

The white population is the most confined of the three dominant groups. Whites are to be pro-white with all things and be blatantly against anything to do with the Black or Brown cultures. Rap, Latin and Hip Hop music is strictly prohibited. They typically have no swagger and are not allowed to have fade or taper hairstyles.

Th “Ah ha!” moment for me was simple. I am living in an era that correlates back to the 1920’s, 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. In prison, cultural evolution never really progressed and I have come to accept it. Then again – who am I?

I am swirly.

I cannot wait until the day that I no longer have to refer to myself as a color.


1 comment:

  1. What is "pro black economics"??? And where do Jews fit in. Some see it as a religion, others as a race.

    ReplyDelete