Wednesday, June 25, 2014

“People whose lives are not balanced with a healthy love of money suffer from an appalling obsession with personal integrity.”


Thursday, June 12, 2014

At first read, I found the above quote quite insulting. For whatever reason, it stuck in my head and I kept returning to it over and over. I probably read it a dozen times. The more I relaxed and absorbed the words, how they were written and what they meant when put together, the more I actually became fond of it. Still, it did not negate the fact that there was a remaining curiosity about it.

The initial insult I believe was derived from the fact that I have been entrenched with things of a monetary nature recently. I wondered if I would be in the former or the latter of that quote. After a short deliberation, it became clear that I am in the former of the two. I do have a love of money, but it is impossible for me to say whether it is healthy or unhealthy. 

While going through this particular exercise, I realized that many of my friends are undoubtedly in the latter category. The word ‘obsession’ though, makes me uneasy simply because I automatically attribute it as a negative. I am well aware of the fact that my friends are very passionate when it comes to the importance of being a good person and maintaining a certain level of integrity. I understand it and admire it. Sadly, their passion for being ‘good’, makes me feels as though I am ‘un-good’ in some way that I am unaware of.

Do I lack personal integrity? I have integrity….how much is impossible to say because of the environment that I am currently in. Balance is something that I struggle with. I struggle with it daily, but I will certainly be more conscientious of the relationship between these two particular concepts.

It is pretty thought provoking nonetheless. 


No comments:

Post a Comment