Saturday, June 14, 2014

‘I’m Doing It My Way’


Monday, May 26, 2014

The events of the past few weeks have been filled with a great many things. I have addressed everything as efficiently as possible and the reaction has been somewhat negative. I trying though, but still somewhat unresolved as to if I am in the wrong – or perhaps – its that the people who think they know me – don’t really know me at all anymore…

The events

  • One of our Dobermans needed emergency surgery because of a bowel obstruction
  • Mom’s car was broken into
  • My final exams for school were due
  • The level of violence has escalated here
  • The temperature is averaging 110 degrees (Inmates become hostile, irritable, and aggravated due to the lack of air conditioning)
  • Mom had to attend a medical conference in Las Vegas (a city we both hate…)
  • I had to make revisions to the IRA account
  • I had to rework the budget numbers for the new house

Needless to day I have been going nonstop. Everything has been taken care of but I concluded that I had absolutely no connection to anything I was doing! I really had disassociated myself from everything and simply took care of what I could in a very methodical, business like manner.

It would be incredibly rude for me to say that I didn’t care – because that was not true. Had I not cared, I would not have done each task to the best of my ability. It is true however that I remained somewhat unemotional about all of it.

When I learned the news about the dog, I was quiet. Mom asked if I had anything to say and I responded that I was sorry – but that I was sure he would be ‘okay’. I then asked about the cost of the necessary surgery. Mom surmised that I was being insensitive and felt my response indicated that I did not care. 
I suppose I can see her perspective. This is however, the 2nd time that this dog has required a bowel resection due to eating things that he shouldn’t (i.e. tennis balls, chicken bones…) I am certain that given the cost of his surgery, he should be okay. All I can say at this stage is that I hope he sticks to Eukanuba from now on. His odd eating habits are costing my mom a small fortune!

But this instance brought to light a very important realization. The man that I am today handles things in a very different way. I listen to the problem or issue, I process it and then decide how I am going to feel about it. At that point, I will decide how to deal with it, fix it or ignore it if it is outside my power to do anything whatsoever. Is it bad that I more often than not, choose to not feel anything?

Mentally I figure that it does me no good to fret and worry about things. I really have no power over anything unless it pertains to things going on here – at my temporary ‘home’. I have no desire to argue, debate or be upset about things that are beyond my control. What’s the point? If I disagree with something or someone, I find that today, I am embracing my thinking voice more and more. Silence is key for me and I have learned that I have to handle things in my own way for the time being.


No comments:

Post a Comment