Sunday, June 29, 2014

‘Politeness is a poor man’s virtue’


Thursday, June 12, 2014

This is a debatable statement but could be one of the most authentic things I have heard in a very long time. How many times have we heard: ‘money=power’? I know I hear it more than ‘knowledge=power’. Is there a disconcerting belief that the wealthy are afforded the right to be rude, arrogant, self righteous, and demanding. If so, then why is that?

Suppose a man next to me has an endless amount of disposable income. I am recently released from prison and living hand to mouth. Is he better than I am? Can he treat people worse than I can and get away with it? It’s wrong. Financial status should not automatically allow people to behave in a certain way. In today’s society however, it has become clear that it is the way of the world.
You may wonder why this topic? 

Well I overheard inmates discussing me and my family from the previous day's visit. Their dialogue was essentially a a comparison over the rumors they have heard about me; that my Mom and Kevin have these types of cars,… they live in huge houses (and they even own more than one),… they travel to Boston and Chicago every other weekend… and I am the only child. 

Their statements were so grandiose, so exaggerated. I wanted to turn the corner and clear up true facts from fiction but, I did not. Then, one of the inmates made a final statement: “No wonder he is such an asshole. He’s rich and rich people can do whatever they want to!” I was speechless and could do nothing but walk away.

My mother enables our family to live a comfortable life but, we do not do what we want, whenever we want. Especially not me, for that matter. I admit that I can be an asshole but, that is because of reasons that have nothing to do with wealth. The reality is that I have nothing. The perception however is quite the opposite. I get that because in here, perception = fact.

Politeness is something I cannot afford here. I decided to let them think what they want because in the end, it will not effect me either way. The fact that I am correcting them, or putting them in their place could be considered an act of politeness, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment