Monday, June 9, 2014

‘Correspondence Adventures’


Tuesday, May 20, 2014

People have been focused on some of my thoughts/views of the various pen pals that I have had. For most of you, I can see how some of the things that I have said have come across as general blanket statements. In the end however, it was me who needed looking into. I am going to clarify some of what I believed has jaded my overall interpretation of the pen pals I once had. I have also made the decision to officially open the door to any and all correspondence from those of you who do follow this blog. In doing this, you will be able to send your comments, questions and concerns directly to me.

My ‘Pen Pal’ entry was written during a time that I was in a pretty lonely place. I had convinced myself that I needed someone special in my life that I could potentially develop a relationship with. In truth, it was a disaster in the making. Subconsciously, I had developed ridiculous expectations and I had doomed myself from the start.

On a parallel track, the guys that I was corresponding with were also in search of something and so, I filled a void in their lives as well. Looking back now, none of it was meant to be truly serious, let alone develop into something of true substance. In the end, I was at fault for perpetuating the roller coaster of emotions that I would experience.

Today, I have a much healthier outlook. More importantly, I have gained a self confidence that I never really had – or believed could exist. I realized that the people I need, are already in my life. My interactions have changed and my thought process has grown in such a way that I prioritize the people I love most before anyone or anything else. I do it without provocation and I am proud of that.

At present, I have a couple of wonderful pen pals. I no longer have expectations or an agenda. I am simply enjoying the fact that I can meet new people in a unique way. If I make a few friends along the way, then this particular form of communication is well worth the effort.

I know there will always be a cloud of suspicion over my head simply because I am in prison. As I take into consideration social media, email and texting, I know that the idea of corresponding with someone via “snail mail” is not all that attractive. I get that. 

For those of you who may be inclined to drop me a note however, there is still a link to my profile on writeaprisoner.com. If you have a comment or question (and I welcome them all!) here is my direct mailing address:

David McKinney

ADC# 169947 - 6B5

A.S.P.C. Yuma, Cheyenne

PO Box 8939

San Luis, Arizona 85349

Now that I have shared my mailing address, I will also resume the “Advice From Behind the Walls’ segment of the blog again. Please keep in mind that I am not a trained professional and my answers or advice is strictly from my personal experience and point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment