Saturday, January 11, 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Wednesday, January 1, 2014
 
I would have done this yesterday but I was pretty much asleep by the time the ball dropped in Times Square. The last New Year’s Eve that I actually celebrated was in 2000, the millennium and the memory of that is still very much alive with me. I will hold onto that until I am allowed the opportunity to make new memories. 
So 2014 means that I now officially have 4 more years to go before completing my sentence. There really is light at the end of this journey for me. Now I am eligible to be moved to a minimum custody level prison if the administration believes I would be productive there.
It also means that I have now spent 12 years behind wire fences and barbed wire.

Enough Said.

Like so many others, I did make some New Year resolutions. I usually keep them to myself so that if I break one, nobody knows about it and therefore, can’t say anything. Still, I decided to share them this year and what better way to do that than here, with my readers?



DAVID’S NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS
 
  1. BE MORE TOLERANT: I would really like to be more tolerant to others. I go up and down with this at times and, as often is the case, it is completely mood driven. I need to be more even keeled and consistent.
  2. BE KINDER TO MYSELF: For those who know me well, I can be a mixed bag. I am however, very self-critical in ways that make me seem crazy. The majority of it is physical changes i.e.; loss of hair, lines in the face, body changes. The problem is that time didn’t stop simply because I came to prison. I subconsciously blame my physical changes on my incarceration and therefore, view them as negatives. That way of thinking does me no good. It is not healthy and certainly not kind.
  3. BE FUTURE DRIVEN:It’s so easy for people in prison to give up on the future because we to worry about simply surviving every minute of every day. Sometimes planning next week seems premature – so we don’t. For me, the future has been a “yeah, whatever…” topic because it has always seemed so far away.  I mean, why plan – if I could be killed tomorrow or beaten up so badly that I can’t carry out basic daily functions? These are the ‘what if?’ things that I never share with the people closest to me because I don’t want to worry them. But they are always in the back of my mind though. Every years that passes, is a year I do not have to do again though so I need to make some serious decisions for my future. It’s time.
With that said, I wish everyone a very Happy 2014! Take care of yourselves and do your best to find honor in all that you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment