Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Daunting but Exciting re-entry


Monday, december 30, 2013

Time, and time again, I think about my release and though I am anxious and nervous, it is exciting to think about. A friend of mine who was recently released from prison after serving only 9 months, is having some trouble transitioning. It got me to think about how I will react.
 
I look at it as starting my life over again but at 37 years old. I will have no clothes, no money and will literally be starting from scratch. On the plus side, I have an education, social skills and drive. I have faith that I will be okay but I am not sure it is natural for me to feel so confident about it. Life is not particularly easy and it is expensive. The fact that I am also relocating to one of the most expensive cities in the country to make my new home in, is going to be a challenge as well.
 
Is there is a difference in the prospect of institutionalization between people who simply have a taste of confinement versus those who call it ‘home’? At this point, I’m not so sure. Regardless, it’s seriously thought provoking – isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment