Wednesday, February 26, 2014

‘My Idols’

Friday, February 21, 2014

“IDOL”; object of adoration; somebody or something greatly admired or loved, often to excess
 
My Mother

My mom is perfectly imperfect in every way. She and I share an unimaginable bond and I’d go as far as to say that it was kismet that I ended up being her son. She is educated, beautiful, classic, independent, opinionated, compassionate, and strong. Classifying her as culturally diverse would be unfair because she is so much more than that. She has remained open minded enough to maneuver seamlessly within differing cultures. Additionally she has been able to respect and appreciate all things, even those that she may not particularly agree with. As a child, I used to study her. Whether it was applying makeup, curling her eyelashes, or working a room full of people,  I would watch her carefully. Her work ethic is incomprehensible and I have been lucky enough to have that example in life. As I age, I have begun to accept and embrace the fact that I am unequivocally my mother’s son… and I wouldn’t want it any other way.


Tom Ford

I love everything that this man stands for. I have paid close attention to his career beginning with his first years with Gucci and I have always supported his efforts in the fashion community. I believe that he is kind, compassionate, honest, handsome, successful and also, a humanitarian. I think he is a solid role model for the man of today, both gay and straight. The drive and the passion that he has for what he does is indisputable. He is always in full representation of his authentic self and I admire that. There is something to be said for a person that can be so successful in life and still maintain a level of humility. Tom Ford is that person and Idolizing him, for me, comes effortlessly.


Robin Roberts

Wow. To say that I admire this woman is an understatement. I have regained sight of my own inner strength simply by watching her endure and conquer her health issues.  She is exquisite, courageous, strong, and positive. One day I will reach out to her, if for no other reason than to say that I love her as a human being, as a woman and as a symbol of strength and equality. We all could learn something from her.


Alex Minski

Since learning about this man, I have been captivated by him. I suppose that after hearing his story, most people would be. The man went from being a marine, to being an amputee, only to subsequently become an alcoholic. He climbed out of his own personal darkness and elevated himself to supermodel status all by the age of 27. Like me, he has had a crash course in life. From a person who knows what the bottom looks like, I can relate to his journey. I love what he stands for, how he allowed himself to adapt, change and grow. I can only hope to be as successful as he has been when my time to re-emerge back into society comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment