Thursday, November 8, 2012

My personal outlook on the Department of Corrections; "Prison is not supposed to be a nice place."

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I received a message yesterday from a woman who writes a blog specifically about all things involving the Arizona Department of Corrections. I get the distinct feeling that she focuses her energy on the negatives and it caused me to wonder if I have come across as someone who is inadvertantly slandering the department of corrections. That is certainly not my intent – at all.
My mission is only to discuss what real life is like inside of here, for someone like myself.
I do not feel as though the DOC goes out of their way to treat us badly. It is a business and they have a job to do. From a professional point of view, I would think that they are doing the best that they can with the resources that they have. Prison is not supposed to be a nice place; It is a violent, scary, strange and completely different world. Though I hate to say it, a lot of the people I know, belong here. I hate to say that… but it is true. For me, I accept my sentence and even though I do not like this place, I always do whatever I can to keep moving forward.

Since I have never been to another prison besides the ones in Arizona, it would be unfair of me to say that Arizona is the worst system, or that they do not have our safety in mind. From what I see, they do what they can with what they have. That doesn’t mean that I have to like it. It doesn’t even mean that I have to accept it, but I do because it makes it easier for me to get on with each day.
In a weird way, I would say it is similar to someone growing up in Compton, or Watts in Los Angeles. I have a friend here who grew up there and he agrees that life there, it is pretty much the same as prison. For him, living in such a violent and scary place was the life he was given. He didn’t like it, but it was easier for him to accept it and live, than to spend life not accepting it and having to deal with the hate within him.

Anyway, I just wanted it to be clear that I do not hate the Department of Corrections. I do however; hate the fact that I did something that resulted in me having to be in prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment