Thursday, January 31, 2013

When friends need you and you can't be there; "It bothers me to no end that I cannot."

Thursday, January 22, 2013


Joe has really been going through a hard time lately. Last time I spoke to him, there was an evident sadness to his voice because he lost his cat, Lenny to old age. Last year, he lost his other cat, George (Lenny’s brother). Those who are pet owners know that animals that you have had for years, really do become part of the family.
But the past couple of years have not been particularly easy for Joe. A lifelong friend of his passed away after a rather quick, but painful bout with cancer. On top of that, Joe has been wrestling with a couple of health issues and now, his pets are both gone. I feel like I am the one that is supposes to be there to help and support him with whatever he needs, and it bothers me to no end that I cannot. Joe is very strong, and stubborn so I know he will be fine. But that doesn’t help the fact that I wish I could do something for him besides listen and write.

To those of us in prison who have solid relationships with friends and family, a level of resentment develops. I'd go as far as to say that it may even border on jealousy. I was blissfully unaware of this phenomenon until certain things were thrown in my face with regard to my relationship with my mom and Kevin. Ironically, it was through Joe that I began to realize it. I think it is safe to say that he never thought it would happen with him, only it has, indirectly.
With my mother, it had been just her and I for so long that I had become the ‘man in her life’. Even as a teen, I would take care of the bills, the house, the car maintenance etc. I did my best to stay on top of things and I was a perfectionist at it. I knew who my mom was as a woman, and what was acceptable.
When Kevin came into the picture, I was happy for her. Over the years however, I have taken note of the fact that I still feel I know what’s best for her. With that in mind, I have had difficulty accepting her choice to accept Kevin’s decisions and advice over my own. It’s been a process but I am able to see the dynamic clearly now. Still, there are some heavy moments of resentment and it really stems back to the plain fact that I cannot be there to help take care of things. It’s completely ridiculous I know, but I will catch myself saying things like; “If I was there…” or “You shouldn’t do that, you should do this…” It is hard to relinquish power or even influence.
With Joe, I have realized that I have developed a resentment toward a friend of his and my mother’s; Aiden. When something is going wrong in Joe’s life, Aiden is there to help. Initially, I was happy that he was there. Over time however, I have grown to feel that it is I who is supposed to be the one there for him to help. Look, I know this is all so childish…. But sometimes we all act in childish ways. At least I can admit it and acknowledge it for what it is. It’s just one more thing to work on…
In the end of this odyssey, when I am released, I will not be able to swoop in and fix everyone’s problems. I will need to work on me and getting my life together. Whether I am alone or in a relationship, I will have to redirect all that energy into other places. Both mom and Joe have made it this far and have done just fine. It’s time for me to live my life. I really don’t want to be the “fixer”.
It’s time to find my own purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment