Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A brand new kind of me; "I proceeded to have an emotional breakdown."

Thursday, January 17, 2013

The past 48 hours have been filled with some serious soul searching and “me time”. To say that I have been antisocial -would be a gross understatement.
Yesterday morning, someone that I consider a friend, was seriously assaulted outside and left there lying alone and bleeding from the head. I was inside at the time and was completely unaware of what was taking place. As usual, when staff finally realized what had taken place, we were immediately placed back on Lock Down status.

As the facts of the event came in, I remained quiet but my anger and disgust within began to rise and rise. Hearing guys laughing and telling jokes about it was a tipping point for me. I grabbed my towel and headed to the shower where I proceeded to have an emotional breakdown. This shit, is NOT okay.
Over the years, I have certainly become desensitized to many acts of violence and wrong doings. But it is always different when it is someone you truly know. There is no place deep enough within my mind to bury that and ignore it. This event in particular brought a wave of memories of so many things I have seen and with that, a lingering question that simmers within me; “how is it that I have gotten to a point where these act have been okay, accepted, and then ignored?”

Am I mentally weak? Selectively blind? Have I become an advocate for violence? Am I non-feeling?
Have I become one of “them”?

I have rational explanations for all of these questions to self, and each of them lead to survival – both mentally and physically. But it’s not enough. I need to find myself back to me… I’m not lost, but I have been ignoring too many things simply so that I can be “okay” and continue to move forward. This behavior is not acceptable to me and only I can change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment