Saturday, December 8, 2012

So many visits, so much time; "Visitation is great because we inmates get a break."

Saturday, December 1, 2012

I am sitting here in my proverbial Sunday best orange visit clothes. I have showered, shaved etc. Kevin is visiting today alone which is a good thing. Mom is on a long stretch of night shifts so I will not see her until next week. On the plus side, I will be off the yard today and away from the madness.
Visitation is great because we inmates get a break. Everyone, for the most part, gets to be themselves. We don’t have to walk around and pretend that we are HARD or like we have a chip on our shoulder. I can’t even count how many visits I have gotten but I would say it’s around 500 now. It’s crazy to think about. Mom and Kevin have always been so great in that sense. They are always front and center. I am one of the lucky ones.

There are days though that it would be nice to have other people or friends in my life to visit.  It is not always convenient though and I suspect some are simply afraid of actually coming to a prison. I can’t really blame them. The entire experience can be very intimidating – especially if it might be their the first time. That considered, I will take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment