Sunday, October 28, 2012

Visitation; "we (inmates) go through a pretty dramatic transformation as we step over that threshold to visitation."

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Spending the day up at visitation with mom all day yesterday was nice. We ran the full gamut in conversation but we both unconsciously decided to stay away from the ‘hot button’ topics that we currently have. I think it was for the best, because we were essentially drama free for the entire day.
For me, simply being off of the yard and up at visitation was a nice change. I used to go to visitation every weekend without fail. Slowly though, things have changed and it is not exactly for the worst. On my end, I have really been focusing on getting my shit together and deciding how I am going to live the best possible life I can post-release.

In the past few years, I have been so involved in trying to help mom and Kevin that I have been taking their problems on as my own. It was not healthy. I have learned that I need to disassociate from their issues in a healthy way. Nonetheless, it was simply just nice to be away from the yard and to see my mom.
You may not be able to imagine this, but we (inmates) go through a pretty dramatic transformation as we step over that threshold to visitation.  When people come to visit me, they get to also see another 3-5% of the inmate population who also get visitors. They are also get to see them, on their very best behavior. Everything about them changes; the way they stand, sit, shake hands, and speak. They are almost an entirely different people than the ones I see on the yard.

When it comes time for us to return to the yard, it is as though we immediately adopt an anti social ‘don’t fuck with me’ behavior. All of the hugs, the smiles and family introductions we have all just shared, completely disappear. It really is very disturbing on many levels.
My vacation is officially over as of tomorrow and so, it is back to work I go. I have really enjoyed being able to take things easy, to write to pen pals, to blog and to work out. There is something to be said about the benefits to a vacation, even inside a prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment